Updated: Mar 23, 2022
Cornbread is a lovely addition to a robust chili on a cold winter day or with a barbeque during the summer. While it's often made with while flour and quite a bit of butter, this recipe has been lightened up with the use of Greek yogurt and chickpea flour.
It's essential to pre-heat the cast iron pan in order to get a nice crust on the bottom and sides of the cornbread.
2/3 cup corn meal
1/3 cup chickpea flour (besan)
1 t baking soda
1/8 t salt
1/4 c Greek yogurt (2% fat)
1/2 cup water
1 egg, large
2 t olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Place greased cast iron pan (8 inch) into oven to allow it to pre-heat.
3. Sift flours together and stir in the rest of the dry ingredients. Mix together the wet ingredients and whisk to combine well.
4. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk to combine well.
5. Remove cast iron pan from oven and pour the batter into the pan. Place back into the oven.
6. Cook for 15 minutes until tan on top and the bread start pulling away from the sides of the pan.
7. Slice and enjoy!
For a dairy free or vegan alternative use coconut milk yogurt such as So Delicious.
Nutrition Facts (approx.): 1 serving
Total Fat: 4.5 g
Saturated Fat: 0.9 g
Sodium: 380 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 12 g
Added Sugar: 0 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.3 g
Total Protein: 5.3 g
Below we've paired this cornbread with crusted chicken, sautéed collard greens, red cabbage slaw, dill potato salad, and baked mac 'n cheese.